ABOUT THE BOOK
In a culture that structures everything around comfort it’s more than easy for us as believers to settle down and snuggle into a life of idleness. There is nothing wrong with taking a break and doing nothing... for a time. When we rest unintentionally we quickly forget that we are supposed to NEED rest because we are exhausted from running the good race and striving towards Jesus. We are content attending church on Sundays and not knowing our neighbor's names. We are content hanging with the same people that think the same way we do while ignoring the ones who are harder for us to love. This is a much easier life. But Jesus didn’t call us to easy. Like water when it sits still for too long, we become stagnant and no help to those around us. Let’s remember why God gave us rest. Rest is a beautiful gift given to us by our creator to help us find our peace and calm in HIM, recharging us before heading back out into the world making disciples and proclaiming the good news. We should be like a running river, beautiful and strong, carving a path for those behind us, helping those around us grow and flourish as we rush towards our Savior. Risky Rest is a journey to remember why God gave us rest and to find the balance between resting too much and resting too little.
After word mapping the words risk and rest, I kept coming back to the idea of water. Water when still becomes stagnant and poisonous to us. I thought it parallels what the book is about perfectly. Running water (specifically rivers) also parallel what our lives are like when we are moving towards God. As we push forward toward Him, we not only change ourselves but we affect our surroundings similarly to the way a rivers health affects the entire ecosystem around it. Rivers have many temperaments that are similar to what we are called to as believers as well. A river can be strong and raging, representing the times we need to put our head down and push forward. Yet, it can also be calm and peaceful, similar to how times of purposeful rest restore us as well as makes us closer to God.
I decided to base the visuals for the book’s identity and marketing around this idea. I created abstract representations of a river using watercolor. You’ll notice the majority of the type used in the designs is not in any particular alignment, I wanted the copy (especially on the book cover) too look like it was in water, floating down a river.
I wanted to create subtle movement in the header of the newsletter to grab the viewers attention. The moving arrows represent the motion of water. All the graphics for the newsletter are included to the right. You can also see a live preview of the newsletter here.
Rest without purpose puts us at risk of becoming stagnant, apathetic followers of Jesus. Let's rediscover and remember why rest was created for us!
Female, 18-35, any occupation from a stay-at-home mom to a CEO of a corporate company
How do they spend their free time?
Hanging out with familiar friends, church on Sundays, watching tv, on social media, meals with family
What are a few of their favorites places to shop?
Amazon and Target
What are their hopes, dreams and fears?
Hopes: The ones they love will know or will come to know the Lord
Dreams: Not sure if this type of person has big dreams... probably content continuing to live the exact same way they are currently living
Fears: Loved ones never coming to know the Lord or turning away from their faith
What would cause them to become a loyal customer?
-The Holy Spirit using this book or other Jess Connolly content to spark and ignite change in their hearts
-The book bringing them spiritual growth
- Send out books for endorsements to be used in book and other marketing materials
- Jess speaks at conferences and church events that target audience
- Posts on instagram and facebook about upcoming book
- Newsletters to subscribers about upcoming book
- Jess guest posts on other blogs about subjects covered in the book (fighting complacency, the importance of sabbath, resting with intention) and plugs book at the end of post
- Book teaser videos (like the one above)
- Book trailer - maybe including clips of Jess talking about book's content at events
- Instagram book giveaway: If participant likes, follows and reposts image of book or image about book, they are entered to win two books (one for them and one for a friend)
- Book launch party in Charleston with satellite launch parties around U.S. hosted by women who have volunteered to host in exchange for early access to book
- Christian radio interviews
- Book signing/reading
- Include first chapter in a newsletter
- #likeariver campaign where women can share ways they are intentional in their rest while living the way God calls us too as believers
- Book giveaways for a women who participated in #likeariver campaign
- Post excerpts and possibly chapters of book on blog
- Introduce Bible study workbook as a companion to Risky Rest